Monday, May 3, 2010

What Yoga Means to Me


If you asked 100 people to explain why they do yoga you would probably get 100 different answers. Some do it to get a good stretch, some do it to lose weight and others do it to relieve stress. That is the beauty of yoga--there is a yoga class for everyone! And often it's the same class.

If you asked me why I started doing yoga, I would say all of the above (increased flexibility, weight-loss, stress-reduction). But, if you asked me why I chose to teach yoga, you would get a very different answer.

After practicing yoga for some time, it became more than a physical practice for me. It is now a philosophy and a way of life that focuses on having my spiritual, mental, and physical actions in proper alignment. Yoga has helped me walk a path to a more healthy, balanced and peaceful life. I decided to start teaching yoga so I could be a part of helping others improve their lives as well.

I love exposing people to yoga for the first time. In doing this, however, I come across two common misconceptions: (1) you need to be flexible to do yoga and (2) yoga conflicts with religion, such as Christianity. While there are definitely some yoga classes that are made for super-flexible people and there are yoga classes that are very focused on the Hindu religion, that is not true of all yoga classes. It is certainly not true for my class. My yoga philosophy does not require a person to come into class flexible or to compromise their religious beliefs. Instead, I believe yoga is designed to help improve flexibility and complement your religious or spiritual practices.

Yoga is about being the best YOU you can be. It is about reaching your full potential mentally, physically, and spiritually. Each person is made differently. Each person has their own physical injuries, limitations, and gifts and yoga can help you heal your injuries and fully realize your physical strength and/or flexibility while respecting your limitations. This is why yoga teachers offer modifications and encourage students to listen to their bodies. Yoga class is not about being the most flexible or getting into the most advanced pose. It is about loving your body, focusing the mind, and getting in touch with your Source.

Yoga is about deepening your spiritual practice, regardless of your religious beliefs. Yoga opens the body, which might be thought of as the vessel through which the divine works in our lives. Regardless of whether you worship God, Jesus, Buddah, Allah or Krishna, the goal is the same. The goal is to make a connection with the invisible force that created us and connects us. Because of this, yoga is an excellent preparation for meditation or prayer.

I hope my yoga classes bring my students the physical, mental, and spiritual benefits of yoga so that they can experience a more fulfilling life.

Namaste,

Ronda Jyoti Litwin
www.yogawithronda.com
Yoag w/ Ronda on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment